"Family is a haven in a heartless world." --Christopher Lasch



You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sad Times





This should be such a happy time in the McKeon household with our newest arrival but sadly, we have been hit with some very sudden and unexpected news. Bosco Bear, our 7.5 year old dog, became very ill very fast. We noticed he started picking at his food and that he had to urinate more frequently than usual. Then he stopped eating all together and Frank and I started paying better attention to him when he was outdoors. He was straining to urinate and having bowel movements every time he went out even though he had not been eating. Lately he has started shaking at various times and even vomits sometimes when he goes to the bathroom.
He has been in and out of the vet several times this past week and we just learned last night that without confirming test results back yet, they are almost positive that Bosco has prostate cancer. There are a couple of other things that it may be but the doctor informed me that his symptoms are text book prostate cancer and is what she feels he most likely has. We'll find out the results in 2-3 days, however, I am just preparing myself for having to put him down this week as there is no treatment for this kind of aggressive cancer and I wouldn't want him to suffer longer than he has to due to my selfishness.

I am absolutely shocked and devastated by this because Bosco isn't even 8 years old yet and I always thought of older dogs becoming ill with cancer. Bosco's breed typically live until they are 12-15 years old! Also, he has been THE HEALTHIEST dog until now. I can't ever recall having to take him to the vet for even the most minor illnesses in the past. He has always been very healthy. So with how healthy he has been in the past and how fast this has all come on, I am just heartbroken. I got Bosco when I was only 19 and we have been through everything together. He truly was like my first child and I just hope that we'll all be surprised with some good news soon. NOT CANCER!!


1 comment:

RKmckee said...

I almost started to cry reading this! I am just heartbroken for you guys, Amanda! I am so sorry you are going through this:(

Bosco Bear

Bosco Bear
We miss you SO MUCH, Bosco!!