It turns out that Frank discovered a way to make free phone calls from Kuwait so when he calls, it's being connected through a local Indiana number. So I'm needing to re-train myself. He called at 6:00 p.m. last night (which is 1 a.m. his time) and I didn't take the call. Talk about disappointment!
While this was a bit crushing, at least I was able to speak with him earlier that day. He is not yet used to the time change and isn't sleeping all that well or for long periods. They are sleeping on cots in air-conditioned tents so many of the men are developing colds from "sleeping in a freezer and then walking into an oven all day" (as Frank described it). Their food access is pretty good. Food in the chow hall isn't bad he says, but they also have many other options if they want to pay for it: Taco Bell, KFC, Starbucks, Baskin Robins, and a pizza and chinese food place!!
They are doing lots of training. Frank just got back from a 3 day training exercise but didn't seem to mention that they are working them too hard. He and his men will be headed to Iraq sometime in the next couple of weeks. Kaz (our best friend) did mention that Kuwait is not a hostile area at all and that it hasn't been since Desert Storm, so that is a big comfort! In an e-mail he mentioned that the locals participate in their trainings, cook for them and drive the soldiers around! That's it for now but Frank and the other men seem to be doing very well! :)

1 comment:
Hey! I am so happy you have talked to your husband a few times, I am sure its settling for you to know what he is up to! Hope you had a great St Pats Day!
Post a Comment